2020's looking real good
Whoa. The first month of 2020 is almost over and WOW what a whirlwind. We’ve been reflecting on the past decade of running a DJ business in Edmonton and how much has been accomplished. Life feels like it moves at hyper speed these days. It’s hard to imagine where things will go over the next 10 years! For now, we’d like to share with you our 2020 goals - and hope you’ll share yours too - we’re looking for more like minded individuals and businesses to collaborate with this year. And as the Girls Club business grows - we’ll be looking for new recruits - if you know anyone who’s got a great ear for music and the desire to learn how to DJ - put us in touch!
2020 is all about the biz
Goal 1: Provide opportunities to fellow female DJs
The gender divide is huge in the music industry. A study done in 2019 showed that women make up 21.7% of artists, 12.3% of songwriters and 2.1% of producers. Frankly, those stats are appalling.
In 2018, #GrammysSoMale trended for good reason, nominees of the biggest awards -- Record of the Year, Album of the Year, Song of the Year, Best New Artist and Producer of the Year -- majority were men. Fast forward to 2020 and just 10 days before the Grammy’s their (first ever) female CEO steps down and files a complaint claiming sexual harassment and corruption of the Grammy voting process. The 2020 Grammy’s show was a grand display of smoke and mirrors, distracting us of the issues that women and minorities in the music industry (and beyond) still face. Thankfully amidst this controversy the host, Alicia Keys, kept things light with her sing-songy interludes and reminder that:
“It’s when good people do nothing that the bad guys win.”
- Alicia Keys
So let’s do something people! DJing is a common way for musicians to enter the workforce. Girls Club is our vehicle to help reduce barriers for female artists and increase diversity in the music industry. We’re passionate about helping fellow female music lovers learn the ins and outs of the entertainment biz and always hustlin’ to create new opportunities for them to perform and share their love for music. Anything to help move towards EQUALITY in the music industry!
Goal 2: Inspire our community to get active
We believe in setting goals and challenging ourselves, using fitness to push beyond our comfort zones and get that adrenaline rush going. Being active is our number one stress reliever… and trust me, as entrepreneurs we get that whole other level - will I be able to feed myself in two months? - kind of stress happening. When in doubt, sweat it out! It’s amazing how getting moving can help keep you focused and feeling good.
- The Movement is BACK in a big way. Mark your calendars - March 25th, 2020 - and save the date for a very special edition of our pilates, dance party, yoga class accompanied by a guest speaker! Subscribe to be kept in the loop.
- Thinking about taking up running as a hobby? Then this is the perfect time to start running the river valley with us! We applied and were accepted to be Edmonton Marathon ambassadors this year! Official training programs start in April 2020. Pssst. Use promo code SUZY or JACLYN to get a discount on your race entry.
- August 17 - 23, join us at Hawerlak Park for the World Triathlon Grand Final! We’ll be providing the tunes and helping to organize a variety of FREE fitness activities, open to all who want to participate!
Subscribe to our newsletter for news about these upcoming exciting events in Edmonton 2020.
Goal 3: Connect with cool peeps!
So, we’re starting a podcast! Why??? It will help us achieve all of our goals under one umbrella.
The topics we’ll be covering are:
- Technology, Music, Movement, Wellness
- Edmontonians and the cool shit happening in this city
- Travel tips - good festivals, good eats, good cocktails and more!
- Girls Club - who the hell are we?
Subscribe to get our first podcast - coming SOON!
What are you working on in 2020? Leave us a comment, we’d love to hear what you’re up to!
Oh and incase you haven't heard it yet - here's our Best of 2019 edition of Bad Girls Radio (featuring some of the 2019 Grammy supa stars!).