While supporting local artists and businesses! NEW UPDATED LIST as of April 27, 2020 :D
We hope you’re all staying sane and healthy during this COVID 19 quarantine. We put together a fun list of things you can do while we all stay home and do our part to #flattenthecurve. While our inner introverts are thriving, motivation is not so much… we’re so thankful for all of the creative digital solutions that Edmonton business owners and artists have come up with to entertain us and keep us moving while we stay home. Here’s a round up of some our faves:
1. Dance Parties
- Founder of Edmonton’s SWEAT Nu Disco dance party series, Joses Martin is having an online house party tonight to celebrate his Birthday and you’re all invited. RSVP here!
- Check out our Youtube Channel to watch last week’s dance party - LIVE from Girls Club HQ we played a 3 hour hip-hop, house, electro, indie rock set . We’ll be going live again, just waiting for right day - what will you be celebrating from the comfort of your home? Subscribe to our channel to be notified when our next Live Stream is scheduled.
- Our Alberta rave family - the WOMP crew - are hosting a series of online dance parties featuring some of Edmonton and Alberta's best house and bass DJs - check em out for some bouncy at home dance parties!!
2. At home workouts
- The Movement co-creator, dance cardio and yogi leader, Angie Clark aka the Yeg Yogi, has launched her series of online yoga videos - so perfect to do at home for a deep guided stretch.
- Navina Yoga 40 day challenge starts Saturday March 28! This is not your normal yoga challenge - it integrates additional aspects such as meditation, diet and exercises for self inquiry. Navina’s “pay what you can afford” offer makes it possible to take this challenge without fretting further about your finances.
- @all_things_ha_ha is an Edmonton based DJ and Yogi - she’s been sharing her practice of 1-2 yoga classes each day hosted for FREE daily on the SoundvibesYEG facebook page. Her positive energy is infectious, her giggles uplifting <3
- Undrcard, a Calgary based boxing studio, is now offering online classes plus the CEO, Joanna Magik, (who is also a DJ) is sharing quick 10-20 minute workouts on her Instagram regularly - thanks for keeping us moving - paired with amazing tunes!!
- Caroline Stokes is an Edmonton based comedian and artist - check out her feed if you need a laugh, or twenty, or a new dance routine. She brings LOLs everyday. Thank you Caroline / Doug Carl! Love youuuu
- Girl Brain - Love. Laughter. Brain Power. Edmonton comedy group, Girl Brain is going live tonight at 6pm for the Citadel’s Stuck in the House Series!
- Local improver and social media maven, Marielle Elizabeth, has created a hilarious series of IGTV videos: Isolation Tonight, the Canadian late-night show, absolutely no one asked for.
4. Catch up on reading
Taking this time to work on self-improvement? So are we, these books may be of interest to you.
- The Road Back to You - learn about the ancient personality typing - the enneagram - and how get insight into. Bringing an awareness of our unconscious behaviours and patterns allows us to get a better understanding or our triggers and automatic reactions. (Big thanks to Julie from the Know Tribe for sharing her knowledge on this topic at the Creative Hive back in the time before Covid, pictured above).
- This is Your Brain on Music - the science of a human obsession of music by Daniel J. Levitin
- The Longevity Diet by Volter Longo
- Training For The Uphill Athlete
5. Running outside
- Missing the gym or spin class? Now could be the perfect time to pick up running as a hobby (just make sure you’re staying 2 metres away from people while passing). We know, it’s cold out but don’t worry we have some simple tips to stay warm and enjoy exercising outside.
If you're not already doing this, follow @runningroom, @novemberproject & @antisocialrunning on IG and join their running groups on @strava. These channels are putting out lots of good content, challenges, virtual activities on the regular.
If you don’t already have this app, get it. Strava allows you to track your runs with amazing metrics to help you improve your pace and set weekly goals. Another great feature of this app is that every month you can join various challenges and when completed you receive a virtual trophy or badge for your profile. Nerds like us love it. Currently there are a few to join from various local organizations! Sign up and check it out! Strava
Some fun challenges currently on Strava are:
What are you reading, watching or doing to make the most of the isolation?? Leave a comment and tell us what you are up to!
Our next blog will be Edmonton’s Guide to Dining-In during the Quarantine. Stay tuned!Subscribe to our email list, follow us on Instagram, Spotify, Soundcloud and Youtube. Check our our Music page for tunes to keep those dance parties going!